5 Tips to Help You Stay Healthy in Autumn
Registered and Licensed Dietitian-Nutritionist
What will you learn?
1) What Happens To Our Bodies Through Seasonal Change?
Some of the main changes that occur during the transition from summer to autumn, is a change in our skin and our hair. Many people may notice dry skin, dry scalp, or their hair may fall out a little more. These are completely normal changes and can be easily managed by staying hydrated, using a good quality moisturizer, and eating a well-balanced diet that is rich in zinc (supports healthy skin and scalp) and B-vitamins (supports healthy skin and hair).
Compromised immunity is another change that can occur during the autumn season. Quick changes in temperature can cause your body to be more susceptible to the common cold and flu. Make sure to follow a good hygiene routine to minimize infection!
While autumn season is often filled with fun holidays and cozy nights, people can frequently experience symptoms of seasonal depression, anxiety, and increased fatigue due to shorter days and longer nights. Spending time outdoors, visiting friends & family, exercising, and eating a well-balanced diet can all help counteract feelings of seasonal depression.
2) Which Healthy Habits Should I Adapt to Tackle those Challenges?
There are many ways to help tackle the challenges that arise during changing seasons!
- Maintaining good hygiene: This can include frequent hand washing, using hand sanitizer, or even wearing a mask if you are feeling ill. These small habits can help keep your immune system healthy so it can fight off any infections.
- Keeping an exercise routine: When the days become shorter and the nights become longer, it can be challenging to have the motivation to exercise. Small exercise routines, such as going for a morning walk/run or doing 15 minutes of yoga, can have a huge positive impact on your physical and mental health.
- Eat a well-balanced diet: This means having at least 3 meals per day and having a balance of carbohydrates, whole grains, protein, healthy fat, and fresh fruits and vegetables. Having a consistent eating schedule can help you stay energized throughout the day and can even help maintain a positive mood!
3) Are There specific types of foods that I should Focus on? Nutrients that affect immunity?
Focusing on consuming plenty of whole foods, specifically fresh fruits and vegetables, can greatly help your physical health, mental health, and immunity.
- Vitamin D has been proven to help support your immunity and can help maintain and positive mood during dark autumn days.
- Zinc can support your immune system and can also help minimize symptoms of dry, flakey skin.
- B vitamins also support the health of hair and skin, which can be helpful during seasonal and temperature changes. B12, and B6, are all essential to supporting the immune system.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables contain a wide variety of different antioxidants which help support immunity and are helpful to maintaining well hydrated skin. Try adding some seasonal fruits and vegetables, such as apples, cranberries, broccoli, and sweet potatoes. These whole foods contain powerful antioxidants such as Quercetin, OPC, and Coenzyme Q10.
4) Which Supplements Could I Add to my Daily Routine to Support My Immune System?
If you are concerned about not being able to eat a balanced diet with a variety of foods, or if you follow a vegan or vegetarian diet, consuming supplements is a great option to stay healthy during seasonal changes.
- Zinc and Vitamin C are essential to your immune system. Studies show that consuming zinc supplements when symptoms of a cold first begin can shorten the length of illness.
- Vitamin D supplements are especially helpful for people following a vegan diet because there are limited vegan sources of this essential vitamin. Vitamin D helps maintain immunity, supports a positive mood, and can help reduce symptoms of seasonal depression.
- Iron is an essential mineral that supports the growth of immune cells in the body. People who follow a vegan or vegetarian diet are more likely to be deficient in this mineral, and daily supplementation can help reduce the incidence of iron deficiency anemia and helps support immunity.
5) What types of supplements are best for people to take? Are certain supplements more effective than others?
As a dietitian, I know that consuming whole food is the best way to obtain your daily vitamins and minerals! But there are many people who cannot consume enough nutrition through food, so supplements are the next best option.
In addition, there are many nutritional supplements that provide you with many more nutrients than you would obtain only from food! Conventional supplements in pill or powder form are popular on the market, but they are not the most effective supplements. Pill capsules can be damaged in the GI tract or the capsule may not degrade in time.
This decreases overall absorption and effectiveness of the supplement. Liquid liposomal supplements are the superior nutritional supplement on the market. Liposomes encapsule the active ingredient to protect the nutrient from damage in the GI tract.
This drastically increases the absorption and effectiveness of the supplement. ActiNovo has conducted research studies comparing the absorption of liquid liposomal Vitamin C to standard Vitamin C tablets.
The results found that ActiNovo Vitamin C is 12x more bioavailable than a standard tablet.