Liposomal D3+K2 Bioavailability Study
Vitamins D3 and K2 are essential vitamins that we primarily obtain through the diet. These two vitamins work synergistically together to support bone health. Vitamin D deficiencies are one of the most common deficiencies in the world, so it is important to obtain plenty of this vitamin through the diet or through nutritional supplements to avoid deficiency related diseases (e.g. rickets, osteoporosis).
To evaluate the bioavailability of a liposomal D3+K2 supplement compared to a non-liposomal (standard) vitamin D3+K2 supplement.
The current study was a two-group, randomized controlled trial.
- Group A: Single dose of 1000IU Vitamin D3 and 200μg Vitamin K2-MK7 in combined liposomal supplement.
- Group B: Single dose of 1000IU Vitamin D3 and 200μg Vitamin K2-MK7 in combined standard supplement.
Twenty healthy volunteers were enrolled in the study. They were randomly and evenly assigned to one of the two supplementation groups. The participants were between the ages of 20-50 years old, did not have any chronic medical conditions, did not have any presence of acute illness, were within the normal BMI category (18.5-24.9 kg/m2), and did not use any drugs or dietary supplements on a frequent and/or mandatory basis.
Participants were given their respective dose of a combined Vitamin D3 and K2 supplement while fasting. Blood samples were collected at baseline (before supplement administration), 120 minutes, 240 minutes, and 360 minutes after supplementation. Laboratory tests evaluated serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D and plasma K2-MK7 status in the blood at each time point.
Results demonstrated that ActiNovo liquid liposomal Vitamin D3+K2 has higher bioavailability than a standard, non-liposomal Vitamin D3+K2 tablet.
- Liposomal Vitamin D3 was found to be 12.84 times more bioavailable than the standard supplement.
- Liposomal Vitamin D3 was able to significantly increase serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D status in the blood 2 hours, 4 hours, and 6 hours after initial supplementation.
- The liposomal Vitamin D3 supplement had a maximum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D concentration in the blood was after 6 hours, whereas the standard Vitamin D3 supplement has a maximum concentration after 4 hours. This shows that liposomal formulas can more effectively increase and maintain Vitamin D3 status in the blood for a longer time than a standard supplement.
- Liposomal K2 was found to be 37 times more bioavailable than the standard supplement.
- The liposomal Vitamin K2 supplement was able to significantly increase serum K2-MK7 status in the blood at 2 hours, 4 hours, and 6 hours after initial supplementation.
- Vitamins D3 and K2 are essential supplements for the body. Gastric acid and other intestinal enzymes can limit absorption of these nutrients, and liposomal technology can be a solution to increase bioavailability.
- ActiNovo Liposomal Vitamin D3+K2 supplement is more bioavailable than a standard Vitamin D3K2 supplement in tablet form.
- ActiNovo Liposomal Vitamin D3+K2 supplement was able to increase both Vitamin D3 and K2 status in the blood for a longer period of time than the standard supplement.
- Comparable Vitamin D studies have used dosages 20-66x higher than the ActiNovo product dosage (which contains 1000IU Vitamin D). Those studies were not able to match the serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D level that was reached by using the ActiNovo liposomal product. This data suggests that liposomal technology can more efficiently and quickly increase serum Vitamin D status at a lower supplement dosage.