Magnesium Bioavailability Study
To evaluate the bioavailability of the liposomal magnesium supplement compared to a non-liposomal (standard) supplement.
This study was a two-group, randomized control trial studying the effectiveness of a liposomal versus standard magnesium supplement on serum magnesium values measured for twelve hours after administration of a single dose.
- Group A: Single dose of 400mg liposomal magnesium.
- Group B: Single dose of 400mg standard magnesium.
Twenty healthy participants were enrolled in the study. They were randomly and evenly assigned to one of the supplement groups. The participants were between the ages of 20-50 years old, did not have any chronic medical conditions, did not have any presence of acute illness, were within the normal BMI category (18.5-24.9 kg/m2), and did not use any drugs or dietary supplements on a frequent and/or mandatory basis.
Participants received their respective dose of magnesium while fasting. Blood samples were collected at Baseline (before administration), and at 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12 hours after supplementation. Laboratory testing evaluated for serum magnesium status in the blood at each timepoint.
- The liposomal magnesium group reached a maximum serum concentration 6 hours after supplement administration, whereas the standard group reached a maximum concentration 2 hours after supplementation.
- Statistical analysis showed that the liposomal group had significantly higher levels of serum magnesium at 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12 hours.
- Data shows that liposomal magnesium is 5x more bioavailable than standard magnesium.
- Magnesium is an essential micronutrient and absorption can be affected by the food we eat, other micronutrients in the body, and gastric acid.
- Data from this study indicates that ActiNovo Liposomal Magnesium has 5x more bioavailability than standard magnesium supplementation.
- Liposomal magnesium was able to sustain a higher concentration of magnesium in the blood for a longer period of time than the standard magnesium supplement.