Vitamin C Bioavailability
To compare the bioavailability of various Vitamin C supplements in the liquid liposomal, powdered liposomal, and non-liposomal forms.
The current study was a four-group, randomized control trial.
- Group A: Single dose of 1000mg ActiNovo liquid liposomal Vitamin C
- Group B: Single dose of 1000mg other brand liquid liposomal Vitamin C
- Group C: Single dose of 1000mg powdered liposomal Vitamin C
- Group D: Single dose of 1000mg non-liposomal tablet form Vitamin C
Forty healthy volunteers were enrolled in the study. They were randomly and evenly assigned to one of the four supplementation groups. The participants were between the ages of 20-50 years old, did not have any chronic medical conditions, did not have any presence of acute illness, were within the normal BMI category (18.5-24.9 kg/m2), and did not use any drugs or dietary supplements on a frequent and/or mandatory basis.
Participants were given their respective dose of vitamin C while fasting. Blood samples were collected at baseline (before supplement administration), 2 hours, 4 hours, 6 hours, 8 hours, 10 hours, 12 hours, 16 hours, 20 hours, and 24 hours after supplementation. Laboratory tests evaluated serum Ascorbic Acid status in the blood at each timepoint.
Results demonstrated that ActiNovo liquid liposomal Vitamin C has higher bioavailability than other vitamin C products.
- The ActiNovo Liquid Liposomal Vitamin C supplement had the highest bioavailability compared to other groups.
- ActiNovo Liposomal Vitamin C was 1.92 times more bioavailable that a competitor liquid liposomal product, 21.64 times more bioavailable than the powdered liposomal product, and 12.17 times more bioavailable than the non-liposomal tablet vitamin C.
- ActiNovo Liquid Liposomal Vitamin C achieved the highest plasma Ascorbic Acid levels and maintained elevated levels for the longest period of time compared to other products.
- Vitamin C is an essential nutrient for our immune system, bones, teeth, and skin, so adequate absorption is necessary for overall health.
- When comparing ActiNovo Liquid Liposomal Vitamin C supplements to competitor supplements, ActiNovo had a higher bioavailability.
- ActiNovo had a 1.92 times higher bioavailability than a competitor liquid liposomal supplement and even 12.17 times better uptake than the liposomal pill.
- Powdered liposomal Vitamin C product had the lowest bioavailability.